Sunday, May 09, 2010

05-09-10 PM - Building Lasting Relationships: Holding the Family Together When Your World is Falling Apart



Click here (or right click and select "save as") to download "Building Lasting Relationships: Holding the Family Together When Your World is Falling Apart"

Some people simply walk away from their relationships to pursue happiness elsewhere.
Others, like Naomi, remain in the relationship out of necessity instead of loving devotion.
Ruth made the best decision because she decided to hold the family together at all costs.
I. She pictured responsible living - 1:9-10, 14.

Genesis 2:24, “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and shall cleave to his wife,”
Notice two familiar words in this passage:
“leave” [see 1:10, 16 “not to leave”]                                          
“cleave” [see 1:14- “Ruth clung to her”]                                                                                       
II. She pledged her commitment without reservation -1:16-17.
A.  It is costly – Ruth 1:16.

16 But Ruth said, "Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from following you; for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God.
[1] Future: “Entreat me not to leave you”
[2] Her familiarity: “wherever you go, I will go…I will lodge”
[3] Her family and friends: “your people shall be my people”
[4] Her faith: “your God shall be my God”
B.  It is long term. Ruth 1:17
17 "Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. Thus may the LORD do to me, and worse, if anything but death parts you and me."

"Where you die, I will die."

C.  It is sacred.

17 "Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. Thus may the LORD do to me, and worse, if anything but death parts you and me."
III. She proved her commitment – 1:18-22.

Convincing Words – 1:18.
Consistent Works – 1:19-22.
[1:.21 "…the Lord has brought me home again empty").