Sunday, July 17, 2005

Why do I Feel so Lonely?

Loneliness is the first thing God saw that was not good.
He saw that Adam needed a helpmate.

In a poll done by John Milton, 26% of those polled said that they felt lonely.

REASONS FOR LONELINESS:
    I. I have no meaningful relationships.
    Psalm 142:4
    We long for relationships and friendships.

    II. I have a fear of rejection.
    Can be caused by lack of self esteem and thinking that people won't accept you for who you really are.

    III. I have been in an abusive situation.
    Emotionally, physically, etc.

    IV. I have had my heart broken.
    A broken heart crushes the spirit.


RESPONSE TO THE FOUR REASONS:

    I. If I have no meaningful relationships, I need to...
    Accept my position in God's Family.
    Mark 3:33-35 and Romans 8:15
    What are you doing to meet someone else's needs?

    II. If I have a fear of rejection, I need to...
    Know that God will never turn me away.
    Psalm 27:10, John 10:29 and Hebrews 13:5

    III. If I have been in an abusive situation, I need to...
    Seek to forgive those who hurt me.
    As human beings, we need God's help to forgive.
    Holding onto what has happened hurts us more than letting go.
    What other people have done to you cannot send you to Hell... but unforgiveness can!

    IV. If I have had my heart broken, I need to...
    Allow God to heal my brokenness.
    Psalm 34:17-18 and Psalm 73:25-26