Sunday, July 24, 2005

Why Don't I Do As I Know I Should?

Even Paul struggled with this question.
Romans 7:7-25

    I. I have the right desire but the wrong actions.

    II. I have allowed sin to dominate my life.
    The more we give in to a sin, the easier it is to repeat.
    James 1:14-15
    This is true for believers as well as unbelievers.


FOUR STEPS OF ACTION:
    I. Accept Jesus as Lord and Savior.
    Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 3:16, Revelation 3:20, Romans 10:9 and Romans 6:4
    Sometimes we want Jesus as our Savior but not as our Lord, having authority in our lives.
    One way to accomplish this is through getting into scripture.

    II. Understand your position in Christ as a believer.
    John 1:12 - You are a child of God
    John 15:15 - You are called "friend"
    Romans 5:1 - You are justified
    I Corinthians 12:27 - You are part of the body of Christ
    Ephesians 1:3-8 - You are chosen
    Hebrews 4:14-16 - You have access to God
    Romans 8:39 - You cannot be separated from God's love
    Philippians 3:20 - You are a citizen of heaven
    John 15:16 - You are appointed to bear fruit
    II Corinthians 5:17-21 - You are a minister of reconcilliation
    Ephesians 2:10 - You are God's workmanship
    Stop going through life wanting to be someone else.


    III. Fight from victory, not for victory.
    I John 5:4-5 "For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God"
    Dont allow the enemy to put you on the defensive!

    IV. Come under Holy Spirit control.
    Ephesians 5:18